Thursday, September 20, 2018

Dunham's Cocoanut Dollhouse

This house deserves a post of its own.

Dunham's Cocoanut distributed these dollhouses as packing crates for their product in the 1890s. When the coconut was sold, grocers gave away the empty crates as advertising premiums.

The houses were 1:12 scale, made from wood with lithographed wallpapers.  They also came with cardboard furniture, but the furniture is hard to find.

My Dunham's house is below.  I filled it with a mixture of antique miniatures  and cardboard furniture that we made ourselves.  I used a vintage coin bank for the stove, which seemed appropriate for an advertising premium.

My favorite room is the second floor - please see the below closeups of the fish tank and moose.  But  my photographs do not do this house proper justice.  Please see here for a better view.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment