Monday, November 12, 2018

Mini Dung Beetle

One of the more interesting items that I chose from the kickoff was the Monkey Brand Black Tooth Powder.  I used the box to make a poster, but I thought it would be fun to use the actual powder as well.

And in a moment of clarity, I decided to make a miniature dung beetle.

I used one of the round wooden beads as the foundation for the dung.  I had several sizes to choose from, but I ultimately went with medium.  (The small bead was not interesting enough, and the scale of  the large bead was too grotesque.)


I covered the bead with brown-colored clay, and rolled the wet clay in the tooth powder.  Incidentally, the tooth powder smells like a combination of tea, moss, and pencil shavings, although I don't think it contains any of these ingredients.



Then I shook off the excess powder and mounted the dung on another bead that I had already painted gold.  I am quite pleased with the result.




No comments:

Post a Comment