Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Marx Newlywed Series

Antique dollhouses are my fancy.

One of my favorite dollhouse sets is the Marx Newlywed Series from the 1920s.  These were small-scale sheet-steel lithographed rooms, sold either individually or as a set.  There were six rooms total,  but they were designed to sit in a carboard house which held four at a time.  The rooms came fully furnished, and were compatible with some of the tin-litho Cracker Jack premiums of the same era.  (More about that later.)

My Newlywed rooms are shown below.  I love the detail of the walls:

Library 




Parlor



Bedroom





Kitchen


Dining Room


Bathroom



I also added several Cracker Jack prizes for the furniture.  I placed the grandfather clock in the library, and the chair in the bedroom.




I have not been able to find an original cardboard house, but the rooms display nicely in an Ikea CD holder.

No comments:

Post a Comment