Saturday, January 19, 2019

What the Fluff? Festival

Marshmallow Fluff was invented in Somerville, Massachusetts in 1917 by Archibald Query.  To celebrate this important event, Union Square Main Streets  hosts an annual What the Fluff? festival in Somerville.  The festival features Fluff-themed cooking contests, games, and exhibits.  Read more here.

If you know me at all, you have already guessed that I did not enter the cooking contest.  However, in the first year of the festival there was also an art contest which invited entrants to create Fluff-themed art.  My original plan was to create a giant Rothko using real peanut butter and Fluff, but the rules prevented me from using actual Fluff as a medium.  I settled for acrylic and colored pencil instead, and invoked the styles of Lichtenstein, Pollock, Rothko, and Warhol.    


No comments:

Post a Comment